Your Mig torch and welding wire are chosen according to the mig welder you have , the metals to be welded and your welding needs.
To better understand the difference between bare wire and flux-cored wire, torches, See our range of replacement mig torches for all your mig welding torch parts
metal arc welding (Metal Inert Gas or Active) is a semi-automatic welding process using gas (argon, helium, or CO 2) for shielding the weld.
The wire [electrode] loaded with a coil carries the wire which has both a function of filler metal and electrode up to the mig welding torch to be melted.
An electric arc occurs when the welding wire from the mig welder handpiece comes in contact with the parts to be welded; the semi-auto welding is in action.
welding torches must match the welding machine.
Welding torches must match the performance of your mig welding machine.
The Mig welding torch is characterized by its maximum power amperage & duty cycle, but also the availability of accessories and consumables in relation to the section of the wire used.
Craftsman, coachbuilder or handyman,normally use a basic style of wire for everyday common welding with solid wire from 0.6 mm to 1 mm and fluxed cored wire 0.9 mm will be perfect.
This style makes it possible to carry out welding on thin steel such as exhaust pipe. Although the mig welding gun must cover the min and max range of welding amperage , it is best to choose a light and handy model for lighter welding projects.
The boilermaker, steel fabricator and the welder might need a more powerful mig welding gun allowing the welding of wire from 2 to 3 mm.
The ergonomics of the mig welder handpiece are different from one model to another. Try to determine which mig welding torch is best for your welding position.
Criteria for selecting a mig welding torch
There are two main types of mig welding torch:
• the air-cooled mig torch (protective gas);
• The water-cooled or refrigerant- cooled mig torch in a closed circuit.
The air-cooled torch (protective gas)
This is the most common mig torch, from basic model to sophisticated model. The selection criteria are:
• the intensity of the welding current (150 A to 350 A);
• the length of sheath (3 to 4 m);
• the trigger type;
• the availability of mig torch parts the accessories and the quality of the mig torch.
• the range of use of the filler wires;
• the design of the mig handle and its construction materials (long or rotating gooseneck), with a spiral reinforcement to prevent twisting of the pipe;
• type of connector (usually European standard);
• The duty factor (60% maximum is the norm for this range).
water cooled welding torches
The main features of water cooled welding torches are:
• welding intensity up to 500 A (depending on job performance);
• 100% duty cycle;
• Closed circuit cooling system (refrigerated liquid).
Other more sophisticated torches
The water cooled welding torches with controls incorporated in the handle
Here we are in the presence of the Ferrari of mig torches! Characteristics:
• the mig handle has a display of the speed and tension of the thread ;
• controls allow you to adjust these settings with the touch of a finger;
• the selection of welding programs is also possible at this level;
• Wire capacity 1.6 mm max.
The suction mig torch (from 150 to 500 A)
On this variant of mig torch, the gooseneck has gills to capture the welding fumes and return them to a vacuum filter unit. Real technological gem, perfect for intensive work. For once, the health of the welder is at the heart of the concerns!
The beam of this mig welder handpiece can be lengthened, but remember that the friction of the wire in the sheath may increase causing more or less serious problems after a certain period of use .
Mig welding supplies
In order not to fall into the trap of the consumables that are missing in the middle of your welding project, build a small stock of mig welding torch parts for a guarantee of your job completion.
The essential mig torch parts
First of all, it is important to plan your mig torch parts replacement consumables according to the wire used. Then make sure you have:
• Wire drive rollers with appropriate grooves that match your mig welder wire size
• gas nozzles ;
• nozzle holding spring ;
• gas diffuser ;
• Contact tips (theses welding consumables gets very hot as a result need replacement more often).
Note: theses consumables are sold in kits frequently .